Governor David Ige announced major changes to the state’s coronavirus rules and that he would not renew his executive order concerning social distancing and further said that the state’s counties would no longer be required to seek state approval for emergency orders relating to the pandemic.
In announcing the changes, the governor reflected on the state’s Covid death toll, which stood at 1,002 as of Tuesday.
“The sacrifices we have all made have prevented even further loss of life,” the governor said. “Hawaii continues to have amongst the lowest rates of infections and fatalities in the nation due to this Covid-19 pandemic.”
Effective December 1, the state limits on social gatherings and capacity limits on restaurants, bars and gymscovered by the governor’s executive order will end. Previously, state limits were ten people indoors and 25 outdoors.
Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi told reporters Tuesday that, while the social-distancing rules were ending, patrons in bars and restaurants should be wearing masks when not actively eating or drinking.
Access to restaurants, bars, and fitness centers in the Aloha State will still be under the state’s Safe Access program, which requires proof of inoculation against the coronavirus or a recent negative Covid test.
(Photo: Accura Media Group)